Saturday, May 4, 2013

Weather You Like It or Not

This is my new life, in a new place, weather you like it or not. I love the weather here in Monterey County: daily temperatures have hovered between 65 and 75 degrees just about every day. Brilliant sunshine, fresh ocean air, occasional fog in the mornings. We call that writer's weather. This is what my new neighborhood looks like.


Don't get me wrong, we LOVED our house in Haggin Oaks. We nicknamed the place "Melissa's Oasis," since my wife found her peace thereafter long days at the hospital. We hunkered down in our little slice of private bliss, shutting out the cares of the world...often cranking up the AC to the max. Full disclosure: I don't do well in hot weather. We moved to Bakersfield from Monterey County three and a half years ago. The hope was that your humble narrator, "the weather wimp," would get used to the finer aspects of 100 degree-plus weather. I don't know anyone who knows me that took that bet.

I'm a San Francisco kid, born in The City, raised in South San Francisco (aka "South City"). In this case, "south" doesn't imply warmer, it means "directly in the heaviest fog belt, down wind from Daly City, on the way to SFO." My formative years were spent cuddled in a cool blanket of fog. My mother had spent part of her childhood in Taft, part in the Ozarks of Missouri; she knew her heat, wet and dry. Since she liked her relations, I spent many hours melting into days in a variety of station wagons with four older siblings and no air conditioning, travelling to strange places with names like "Visalia," "Bakersfield" and "Joplin."

My father believed that tying a burlap bag full of water to our station wagon's grille would make those summer treks tolerable. It didn't. The only hope that keep us kids alive as we lurched toward the next motel pool were A&W Root Beer stands. I scoured  maps to determine the distance to the next orange-and-brown haven.  I knew every exit off of US 99 between Tracy and Bakersfield that led to the promise land of soothing, life-giving root beer floats.

In my twenties, I had a job that took me to New York City and a fateful rendezvous with a certain lovely redhead. We settled down in our nation's capital, where I got up close and personal with a demon called Humidity. I had one vendor there named Dan who would show up to my office with his polo shirt soaked in sweat, proclaiming "I love the heat, the hotter, the better!" At my house, it was a different story. The kids would come running inside for lunch and complain, "It's like a 'fridgerator in here, Dad!" I could always be counted on for the same reply, "Then you may go back outside, if you like."

When I moved from DC to Salinas in '97. I learned that the locals no longer call it " fog," it's "the marine layer" these days. Summer pool parties meant cranking the pool up to 85 degrees, entertaining guests between noon and three, before the marine layer rolled back in. Once you got out of the pool, the party moved indoors. Suited me just fine.

True heat waves are rare around these parts. One afternoon on a trip out of town, my cell phone rang. It was my college boy calling from home. "Hey Dad, it's probably the hottest day I've spent in California. I don't want to worry you, but I think our air conditioning is broken." After living in Monterey County for ten years, he had no idea that our only conditioner was known as "the Pacific."

This past week,  the thermometer has been inching upwards, the hottest days being Thursday and Friday. There were heat advisories on the news, just like in Bakersfield, with the usual admonitions about drinking lots of water, not letting the kids exercise outdoors too much, and please don't forget to take care of Fido, too.Temperature records were set--I believe the thermometer reached a scorching 88 degrees. Do I hear laughter down there in the San Joaquin Valley? Seems purdy hot up here, weather y'all like it or not. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.


9 comments:

  1. I can say that I have been in South San Francisco--had friends there when I moved here in the late 60's. Growing up in Montana meant that I was not prepared for the Shafter heat. Schools were not air conditioned (!) I like the coast and the weather there and we'll be back over there. My wife is in her rookie year of retirement and we are taking care of our goddaughter 2-3 days a week. We went back to MT one summer and everyone said, "You must like this heat." 83 degrees--we had to remind ourselves to simply say something like, "We're used to it." TR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think humidity is vapors of hell. Just say'in :) The first time I encountered the demon vapors was in a place called Fort McClellan Alabama Army base. Eighteen years old skinny little girl from Bakersfield ready to see the world and I end up having a weather induced asthma attack while marching. I missed the weather back home and couldn't imagine staying there any longer then necessary, no matter how sweet the folks or blue the sky. Thanks for this post I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I enjoyed your post, I hate the fact I'm stuck in 95 degrees and you are bathing in 80. I've never been happy in any weather over 70-75. I would love to live where there is a 'marine layer' in the afternoons.

    As far as humidity is concerned, I've been in Texas when it was 98 degrees and 98% humidity. I agree with Iola - humidity is the vapors of hell. My glasses fog up when I go outside and I sweat all day. Did I mention I hate to sweat too.

    Set the thermostat at 72 and I'd be a happy camper (poor, because of the PG&E bill, but happy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, there's nothing as heavenly in the summertime as the weather on the Central Coast. Fog, clam chowder in a sourdough breadbowl with a glass of beer. I remember a comedian who said he hates when people say "At least it's a dry heat." "Yeah," he said, "so is fire!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fog. I miss fog. I want fog. Next time you get fog...send it down Bako-way? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer 100s out in the Mojave to 90s in Bakersfield due to the humidity. I don't know that I like either, but humidity is tough. I'll stick to Tehachapi where at least AC isn't generally needed at night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only lived in Bakersfield for a few months now. Our family moved here from Indianapolis and we were excited to have year round good weather. No more snowstorms and terrible winters. Then we discovered 112 degrees F. crayons melting in my car. Dry heat vs. Humidity. The hottest it ever got in Indiana was about 102 and that was during the recent drought right before we moved. Never experienced heat like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After 17 years in Newport Beach I moved to Half Moon Bay. Four lovely years there, but the summers were a bit chilly. My office was in South San Francisco and the daily drive along the "devil's slide" was wonderful. Many folks wonder why I moved to Bakersfield 11 years ago. A person would only do that for two reason. 1) totally crazy 2) in love. Guilty on both counts. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We drove into Bakersfield on August 6, 1973. Stopped to refuel at a gas station in Mojave. The thermometer read 113. I asked the attendant, "Is it always last this?" He looked at me a little funny, cocked his head and said, "Like what?". These days, I get out of the valley heat for the summer and don long-sleeved t-shirts and sweatshirts on the Oregon coast.

    Favorite lines: "The only hope that keep us kids alive as we lurched toward the next motel pool were A&W Root Beer stands. I scoured maps to determine the distance to the next orange-and-brown haven." Reminded me of long Sunday rides with my dad and looking for the Dairy Queens. xoA

    ReplyDelete